Wednesday, September 9, 2009

PR Profile

According to the traditional skills of a pr professional, I would consider myself proficient in writing press releases, news stories, features and a variety of other written skills including my most recent being blogging.

I certainly have the skill for communicating well with others, which can comprise of an array of communication processes some of which include delegating tasks efficiently, confidence in public speaking and group presentations and most importantly listening to others whether that is my teammates, co-workers or a future employer.

My attention to detail and media relations has greatly increased over the years. I have gained a lot of experience in different work settings such as a marketing agency, a nonprofit organization and in advertising for our student newspaper. I have compiled media lists, met aggressive deadlines, and worked on building good relationships with clients.

Work ethic and proactiveness are a part of my character, for example, tonight after soccer practice I met with two advertising clients, but this was only after visiting each client two times prior over this past week. The extra effort and time devoted to what I am doing pays off, and this applies to everything in my life.

One area where I find myself in need of more practice is in taking more calculated risks and not fearing failure. Many successful people failed many times or took several risks before they achieved anything. Yesterday, our soccer coach played an inspirational online video showcasing these successful people who took risks and failed, some of which included Michael Jordon, Walt Disney and Abraham Lincoln. They all had to “fail forward” as my coach put it in order to achieve something great.

Check out this link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hz_s2XIAU

I am excited to learn more skills as I begin to get familiar with current technology and using the many social networking tools. I am a beginner blogger and microblogger, and I do not understand anything about blogger relations, but that is what this assignment is all about. In our classes, I look forward to discussing social media ethics, how to effectively promote an organization and implement an event and the pitching best practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment