Saturday, July 24, 2010

Art For A Change



I had the privilege to read the NY Times article "To Those With Nothing, Soccer Is Everything". I was inspired to write the artist, Jessica Hilltout and share with her how incredible her work on the AMEN project [pictured above] was and how it truly touched me. Another part of her work that was fascinating was that it was a self-published and self-funded project.

Today, I was reminded of her artwork when I was playing soccer and all of a sudden my cleat ripped, yep out flopped my big foot. I have had this happen to me only once before, but for some reason this time was totally different. My initial reaction was not oh crap or man I got to get new cleats now...no it was wow so many people around the world play with no cleats or cleats ripped just like these and I was humbled.

"In this life we can not do great things. We can only do small things with great love." Mother Teresa once shared this wisdom and I thank God for showing me this truth. As if I had not received enough encouragement already today on my drive home I was listening to these song lyrics "Give me your eyes for just one second, give me your eyes so I can see, everything that I've been missing, give me your love for humanity." I love how something so small as my cleat ripping or a picture that I see in a newspaper or a soccer ball that I give to a needy child can serve such a greater purpose. I have recognized that art is all around me and I am open to being changed by it. I pray you will be too. Please check out more of Jessica Hillouts amazing artwork:
www.jessicahilltout.com
www.jessicahilltout.com/amen
www.jessicahilltout.com/roadbook

No comments:

Post a Comment